Home > Family, Health > Bryce- Recovery Day Four- 8:15 PM

Bryce- Recovery Day Four- 8:15 PM

8:15 PM: Just returned from dinner. YUM! We at at the canal area in Indy, and got to walk and talk for awhile. It was really nice! Thanks Manbecks!! I added some pics to the gallery below.  Sorry they are sideways, my Iphone did that for some reason.

4:30 PM: We just had a surprise visit from our surgeon, and a visiting heart surgeon. They listened to Bryce’s heart. Both said it sounded normal, far better than his grade four murmur. Dr. Brown just told this guy he didn’t have to work on the aortic valve, and then they were gone. In and out in no time, no chit-chat, all business. It’s a little intimidating to be honest. These are guys at the top of their field. Like the general walking in to the mess hall with all the infantry. We both jumped up and almost saluted the guy. He mentioned that they are just waiting for the chest drainage tubes to dry up a little more, then we’ll start the process of getting out of here. Probably another one to two days. We also got some free toys today! Riley and all the supporting charities are great, we haven’t asked for anything to speak of, things and support staff just show up. We’re going down to the canal area in Indy for dinner. Sounds like fun!

3:30 PM: Lael and I went outside for lunch. We walked around campus. There are three hospitals that we found, and IUPUI. We went to the Barnes and Nobles on campus, that was fun. It’s so nice outside. Once again, we wish Brielle was here to play with, but that’s okay. Bryce had his bandages changed, and has been really happy this afternoon. He’s ready for more sleep though. They are giving him some more calcium because he was a tad under their baseline. Nothing major at all. Still waiting for the chest tubes to come out. I’ve been able to keep up on emails from work, but that’s about it. I’ve watched almost two complete seasons of an older comedy called NewsRadio, and Lael has read a lot. We are seeing some friends of ours tonight, they are bringing a picnic dinner. We’re looking forward to that.

11:15 AM: Bryce is awake and babbling. Still no direction or news on his progress, he’s just healing up. He slept a lot this morning. I think Lael and I are getting a little stir crazy.

9:15 AM: Lael is watching Regis and Kelley. I guess Regis was in South Bend for some IUSB all night dance thing. He was talking about Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse, he had a picture with Mishawaka Mayor Jeff Rea, and talked about Notre Dame. Pretty cool to hear about home. And no, we didn’t feel the aftershock earthquake last night.

8:15 AM: He’s laying in bed and talking now, no longer fussy. It’s funny, he knocks his pacifier and a little yellow ring together and makes noise, then looks up at me as if to say “Cool huh? Look what I did!” Then he points the yellow ring at me. What a cute boy. I can’t wait to get home with the whole family. I dreamed about Brielle last night. Here are some older pictures I thought you all might enjoy. They are of Bryce and Brielle in Brielle’s Christmas presents from G’pa and G’ma Hicks.

7:45 AM: Bryce had a good night, although he sounds like he’s losing his voice. He’s a little fussy right now, we’re not sure why. The nurse thinks they probably won’t take the tubes out today, which means the soonest we would be able to leave is Wednesday. Please pray we can leave earlier. I have work that I have to do this week, and they have certain internet applications blocked here, and one of them is the way I can get onto the network up north. I can do emails, but that’s it. Right now it’s just a waiting game. We can’t leave until his chest cavity looks good. Lael just said she thinks he might be cutting a tooth. Hmmmm…could be!

  1. Jonathan
    April 21, 2008 at 9:38 pm

    Why didn’t you mention the half-nude bikini model that was at the canal? Why did you keep looking? It was a good thing that we brought napkins for all that drool.

  2. April 21, 2008 at 9:50 pm

    Haha, yeah. Didn’t seem relevant to the post at this time, nor appropriate for our family friendly format. 🙂 For all of you curious ones, there was a bikini photo shoot at the canal. We all made fun, and it was funny when we kept seeing the same two guys run by a few times.

  3. Jill
    April 21, 2008 at 10:45 pm

    Joel & Lael – Still prayin’ for all of you. It’s so good to check in and see how things are going….even though it sounds like you’re bored stiff. Bored is good. I was reminded of the 8 nights we spent at South Bend Memorial when Bridgette was born. After the first 4 days of breathing issues & recovery, she got jaundice (as you know that’s not uncommon for newborns). But since we were in the NICU already, they couldn’t release her until she was over it. Those last 4 nights were monotonous. Our baby was doing fine & we wanted to be with our other 3 kids. We wanted our own beds with our own sink and sock drawer and everything. I even have pictures of Tim washing the walls in our Ronald McDonald House bedroom, just so he could DO SOMETHING productive and helpful to their amazing staff of volunteers! Too funny. Anyway, it did come to an end. We did get home with our kids and now it is all a memory that lasts no longer than any of our best vacations. We feel your pain. We feel your gratefulness. Hang in there! You’re all doing awesome. Love ya, Jill

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: